Compendium of Population Health Indicators
What is the Compendium of Population Health Indicators?
The compendium is a collection of over 300 indicators, giving a comprehensive overview of population health at a national, regional and local level. These indicators were previously available on the Clinical and Health Outcomes Knowledge Base website (also known as NCHOD).
Sitting alongside the compendium, you can also access the Local Basket of Inequalities Indicators (LBOI). This collection of 60 indicators helps organisations to measure health and other factors which influence health inequalities such as unemployment, poverty, crime and education. They were previously available on the London Health Observatory website.
What data is in the compendium?
There are over 1,000 indicators in this collection, covering:
- Population and demography
- Births, conceptions, fertility, abortions
- Deaths, mortality, infant mortality and life expectancy
- Cancer screening, incidence, survival and death rates
- Circulatory and heart diseases
- Respiratory diseases
- Diabetes and other long term conditions
- Infectious diseases and immunisation
- Health status
- Lifestyle e.g. nutrition, smoking, alcohol consumption and physical activity
- Health interventions and Primary Care
- Hospital care
- Home and Community support
- Socio-economic factors influencing health
- Employment, poverty, homelessness, deprivation, crime
Who is the compendium for?
Anyone can access the compendium, which will be of particular interest to public health decision-makers and analysts.
The public version is available on our main website. However as some data may be disclosive, (i.e. it may be possible to identify an individual) to eliminate this, data suppression may have been applied.
The NHS-only version of the compendium is available through the secure nww. network.
How do I access the compendium?
You can view both the public and the NHS only versions of the Compendium on our Indicator Portal.
- Go to the publicly available indicators on our Indicator Portal
- Go to the NHS-only version of the compendium of population health indicators on our indicator portal
Our commitment to continuous improvement
The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) continually strives to improve the quality and content of our products and services. As the Compendium of population health indicators has been in existence for a long time we are looking to review the information contained within the indicator set to help ensure that the indicators are relevant to user need.
We are looking for feedback, via a short survey, to help us shape the future of the indicator set. The survey will remain open until the end of September 2015.
Alternatively, please send any comments and feedback to email@example.com with 'Compendium of population health' in the subject line.