Routine Quarterly Mental Health Minimum Data Set (MHMDS) Reports - Final Q1 and Provisional Q2 2011-2012, Summary statistics and related information
The Mental Health Minimum Data Set (MHMDS) is a regular return of data from providers of NHS funded adult secondary mental health services, produced during the course of delivering services to patients. Providers currently submit data every quarter. From Quarter 1 2011/12, a new version of MHMDS (version 4) includes new data items and is processed using a new system. Some of the changes have been introduced to support the implementation of Payment by Results for mental health.
Read full details of the data specification
Read the Information Standards Notice for MHMDS version 4 (external ISB website)
The Community Mental Health Activity collection is collected via the Omnibus system.
For MHMDS Q1 final data (April to June 2011) and Q2 provisional data, (July to September 2011):
The new Data Quality Measures showed that in Q1:
- Over 98% of records had valid coding for NHS Number, Postcode, Birth date and Gender
- 89% of Primary Diagnosis records had valid codes
- Over 320,000 Mental Health Care Clusters, the new currency for payment by results for mental health, were allocated to mental health service users.
There has been a large increase in the number of MHMDS records produced by the new method of processing, (for example Q1 final data includes 1,065,296 MHMDS records, compared to 787,460 in Q3 2010/2011 - an overall increase of approximately 35%). The new process has been designed to reflect more accurately the ongoing caseload on providers' systems, but providers will need to monitor submissions to ensure that only active cases are included in their submissions.
Not all providers who were expected to make a submission did so, for administrative or technical reasons, and organisational change also affected the number of providers submitting in each quarter.
In Q3 (October to December 2011) for Community MHA only:
All 151 Primary Care Trusts submitted Community MHA data;
- The number of home treatment episodes year to date was 94,971;
- The number of assessments by Crisis Resolution teams year to date was 189,834;
- The number of patients receiving Home Treatment year to date was 77,837;
- The number of patients being treated by Early Intervention teams in quarter 3 was 21,944;
- The number of people receiving Assertive Outreach services in quarter 3 was 19,970.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
- Contact us via 0300 303 5678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org