Prescribing by Dentists - England, 2012
This bulletin provides an overview of NHS prescriptions written by dentists and dispensed in the community. It is based on data supplied by the Prescription Services division of the NHS Business Services Authority.
The report looks at national-level data for 2012 in terms of prescription items and Net Ingredient Cost (NIC) and looks at changes since 2005.
- 5.6million prescription items at a Net Ingredient Cost (NIC) of £17.7million were dispensed in 2012. This represents a rise of 4 per cent in items and 29.4 per cent in NIC.
- There were 953 thousand mineral items (BNF 9.5) representing 17.0 per cent of all items prescribed by dentists. The total NIC for minerals prescribed by dentists in 2012 was £9.6million, 54.5 per cent of the total NIC of dental prescribing. There was a 34.7 per cent increase in prescription items for minerals from 2011 and a 57.9 per cent increase in NIC.
- Dental prescription items represent 0.6 per cent of the one billion items dispensed overall in 2012. Dental NIC was 0.2 per cent of the overall 2012 total of £8.5billion.
- In 2012 prescribing of controlled drugs (schedules 1-5) by dentists represented 0.08 per cent of all controlled drugs items prescribed and 0.01 per cent of the total NIC for controlled drugs. These are the same proportions as they were in 2011.
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
- Contact us via 0300 303 5678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org