Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2013
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records. The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Hospital episode statistics (HES) statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. This data is provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
• 17.8 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 59.9 per cent (10.6 million) of which included at least one procedure or intervention, and 6.1 million of which were day cases.
• 93.9 million outpatient appointments made, with 75.3 million (80.2 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
• 6.9 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.3 per cent of all appointments.
• 18.3 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.8 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for inpatient treatment. 3.7 million (20.0 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.2 million (39.0 per cent) were discharged with no follow up.
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com