Monthly NHS Hospital and Community Health Service (HCHS) Workforce Statistics in England – June 2013, Provisional statistics
Users need to be aware of intended changes to the presentation of these statistics. For further information please read the "revisions and issues section" on page five of this month's bulletin.
Provisional monthly figures for headcount, full time equivalent, role count and turnover of NHS Hospital and Community Health Service (HCHS) staff groups working in England (excluding primary care staff).
As expected with provisional statistics, some figures may be revised from month to month as issues are uncovered and resolved. No refreshes of the provisional data will take place either as part of the regular publication process, or where minor enhancements to the methodology have an insignificant impact on the figures at a national level.
However, the provisional status allows for this to occur if it is determined that a refresh of data is required subsequent to initial release. Where a refresh of data occurs, it will be clearly documented in the publications.
The monthly publication is an accurate summary of the validated data extracted from the NHS's HR and Payroll system. It has a provisional status as the data may change slightly over time where trusts make updates to their live operational systems. Given the size of the NHS workforce and the changing composition, particularly during this period of transition, it is likely that we will see some additional fluctuations in the workforce numbers over the next few months reflecting both national and local changes as a result of the NHS reforms.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating ‘Monthly HCHS Workforce' as the subject heading, via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0845 300 6016
- Provisional status
- This is the latest publication of a monthly series of the Hospital and Community Health Services (HCHS) workforce statistics using data from the Electronic Staff Record (ESR). The figures do not include data for GPs and practice staff.
- The previous report revised the April 2013 figures at a National level and for Special Health Authorities only. Please see further information in the Revisions and Issues section (pages 5 and 6 of the main report).
- From July 2013 and monthly thereafter we are publishing an extra set of tables based on a new mandatory collection from Area Teams that collects additional Health Visitor workforce information. The collection includes those organisations that do not use ESR such as local authorities and social enterprises not currently captured in the existing monthly workforce publication. The publication of these extra Health Visitor focused numbers will exist as long as the specific collection exists. These tables were previously published from December 2012 to June 2013 by Commissioning Board Area Teams.
- From July 2013 onwards we provided a regional timeseries based on the new Health Education England (HEE) regions to supplement the SHA regional timeseries. From September 2013 onwards we will only publish information based on the new HEE regions. Data will still be available for the old SHA regions on request.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
Have your say on the HSCIC Publication Strategy - consultation open until 8 October.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email email@example.com