NHS Dental Statistics for England - 2012-13
Please note; “patients seen” data for the period ending 30 June 2013 are under-reported in this publication. Since the release of these figures we have discovered that there is a gap in the coverage of the underlying data. This is attributed to practices which opened between 1 April 2013 and 30 June 2013. As they could not be attributed to PCTs, which were the organisational basis of the dataset, the data for these new practices was mistakenly not included. The impact of this under-reporting is small, representing less than 0.2 per cent of the national total.
Revised data for the period ending 30 June 2013 will be provided in the first quarterly report for 2013/14, to be published on 6 December 2013. We apologise for any confusion caused by this error.
This annual report includes information on all patients that receive NHS dental care in England for the twelve-month period to 31 March 2013. Subjects covered include: dental activity, clinical treatments, orthodontic activity and dental workforce.
Information on the number of patients seen by an NHS dentist for the 24-month period up to 30 June 2013 is also included.
- 29.8 million patients were seen in the 24-month period ending June 2013, an increase of 1.6 million on the March 2006 baseline.
- 39.3 million CoT were delivered in 2012-13, a decrease of 249 thousand (0.6 per cent) on the previous year.
- Fluoride varnish treatments continue to rise, by 45.4 per cent for children and 31.7 per cent for adults. For children, this treatment is now the third most common treatment item, behind examinations and fillings and sealant restorations.
- 23 thousand dentists performed NHS activity during 2012-13, an increase of 281 (1.2 per cent) on 2011-12 and 3,041 (15.1 per cent) more than 2006-07.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com