Sickness Absence Rates in the NHS - July to September 2013
This statistical bulletin relates to sickness absence rates for staff at NHS organisations on the Electronic Staff Record (ESR) between July and September 2013.
- Between July and September 2013 the average sickness absence rate for the NHS in England was 3.87 per cent, a decrease from the same period in 2012.
- The North West HEE region had the highest average sickness absence rate at 4.37 per cent. North Central and East London HEE region had the lowest average at 3.28 per cent, although Special Health Authorities and other statutory bodies would have had the lowest rate (3.07 per cent) if classed as a region.
- Healthcare Assistants and Other Support Staff was the staff group with the highest average sickness absence rate with an average of 5.85 per cent. Medical and Dental Staff had the lowest average at 1.14 per cent.
- Amongst types of organisation, Ambulance Trusts had the highest average sickness absence rate with an average of 5.48 per cent. Clinical Commissioning Groups had the lowest average with a rate of 2.03 per cent. Strategic Health Authorities and Primary Care Trusts have been excluded from this comparison but included in table 4, as the majority were dissolved in April 2013, and the remaining few are remnants within ESR as a result of transition, the aim is for these to be fully dissolved by September 2013.
- Tables 2-5 (Monthly Sickness Absence Rates by HEE, Staff Group, Organisation Type and Organisation) of the quarterly Sickness Absence Reports are now published in the months in between the quarterly reports and on the same day as the Monthly Workforce publication. This is to enable the data in these publications to be available on a more frequent and timely basis.
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com