Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2013 to November 2013
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records. The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Hospital Episode Statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. This data is provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
In the year from December 2012 to November 2013 there were:
- 17.8 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 60.5 per cent (10.7 million) of which included at least one procedure or ntervention, and 6.2 million of which were day cases.
- 15.1 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
- 97.3 million outpatient appointments made, with 77.9 million (80 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
- 7.0 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.2 per cent of all appointments.
- 18.2 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.7 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for inpatient treatment. 3.5 million (19.4 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.1 million (38.8 per cent) were discharged with no
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email email@example.com
Help us shape the next version of the website
Your comments are important to us because we are always looking at ways to improve your experience. Please take a few minutes to complete the questions, and let us know your thoughts. Your answers will only be used to help us improve the website.