Prescribing by Dentists, England - 2013
This report provides an overview of NHS prescriptions written by dentists and dispensed in the community. It is based on data supplied by the Prescription Services division of the NHS Business Services Authority.
The report looks at national-level data for 2013 in terms of prescription items and Net Ingredient Cost (NIC) and looks at changes since 2005.
- 5.6 million prescription items, at a Net Ingredient Cost (NIC) of approximately £22 million, were dispensed in 2013. This represents a 0.7 per cent decrease in prescription items from 2012 and a 24.7 per cent rise in NIC. This noteworthy increase can, for the most part, be attributed to a rise in drug tariff prices.
- Dental prescription items represent 0.5 per cent of the 1 billion items dispensed overall in 2013. Dental NIC was 0.3 per cent of the overall 2013 total of approximately £8.6 billion.
- There were approximately 1 million Minerals items (BNF 9.5) representing 19.3 per cent of all items prescribed by dentists. These were prescribed at a NIC of approximately £13.5 million, accounting for 61.2 per cent of NIC prescribed by dentists. This represents a 12.8 per increase in prescription items from 2012 and a 40.1 per cent rise in NIC.
- In 2013 prescribing of Controlled Drugs (Schedules 1-5) by dentists represented 0.08 per cent of all Controlled Drug items (consistent with figures from 2011 onwards) and 0.01 per cent of the total NIC for Controlled Drugs (consistent with figures from 2008 onwards).
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
Have your say on the HSCIC Publication Strategy - consultation open until 8 October.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org