Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care, Outpatients and Accident and Emergency Data - April 2013 to January 2014
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of inpatient care, outpatient appointments and A&E attendance records.
Hospital episode statistics (HES) statistics are produced and published on a monthly basis. These data are provisional and should therefore be treated as an estimate until the final National Statistics annual publications.
- 17.9 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 60.5 per cent (10.8 million) of which included at least one procedure or intervention, and 6.2 million of which were day cases.
- 15.2 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
- 99.1 million outpatient appointments made, with 79.6 million (80.3 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
- 7.0 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.1 per cent of all appointments.
- 18.2 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.9 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for admitted patient care. 3.5 million (19.3 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.0 million (38.6 per cent) were discharged with no follow up.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
- Contact us via 0300 303 5678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org