Focus on the Health and Care of Older People - June 2014
Errata note 26 June 2014: The report has been rereleased with a minor change to the web addresses in the Data Sources section. Excel tables of data are also now available.
This publication provides a compilation of information on older people living in England to give a broad picture of their health, care and wellbeing.
It will be of use to readers wanting a better understanding of older people's use of health and social care and an introduction to the data sources that are available for further analysis.
Many sources of information are available nationally to provide a rich understanding on aspects of health and care of older people.
More information on each data source is provided at the end of the document.
The figures reported here are for England overall. Variation exists locally.
- The population aged over 65 is increasing.
- Based on data from 2010 to 2012, remaining life expectancy at 65 is 18 years for men and 21 years for women.
- In 2011 there were 274,000 newly diagnosed cancers, 63 per cent of which were diagnosed in people aged 65 or over.
- There is wide variation in rates of access to hospital services across the different age groups.
- People aged 65 or over make up one in six (17 per cent in 2012) of the population and this group uses more than one sixth of some health and social care resources.
- The proportion of deaths attributable to different causes varies between older and younger people.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org