Data on Written Complaints in the NHS - 2013-14 [NS]
The NHS complaints procedure is the statutorily based mechanism for dealing with complaints about NHS care and treatment and all NHS organisations in England are required to operate the procedure. This annual collection is a count of written complaints made by (or on behalf of) patients, received between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2014 and also includes experimental information on upheld complaints.
For Information: The HSCIC is currently consulting on proposed changes to the range and the frequency of collection of, data used to produce the NHS Complaints statistical publication. The consultation closes on the 5 September 2014. Details of the proposed changes and how to respond to the consultation are available here: http://www.hscic.gov.uk/complaintsconsultation
- Total number of all written complaints reported in 2013-14 was 174,872 the equivalent of more than 3,300 written complaints a week over the year.
- Total number of all HCHS written complaints reported has increased by 4,992 (4.6 per cent) from 109,316 in 2012-13 to 114,308 in 2013-14.
- The biggest proportion of HCHS written complaints by profession were for the Medical profession (which includes hospital doctors and surgeons) with 45.6 per cent (52,123) of all HCHS reported written complaints. Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting accounted for the second biggest at 21.7 per cent (24,793). For 2012-13 the proportions were 47.1 per cent and 22.1 per cent respectively.
- 45.6 per cent (52,330) of all HCHS written complaints reported are for the subject area All aspects of clinical treatment. This is a slightly lower proportion than last year’s figure of 46.2 per cent (51,071).
- Total number of all FHS written complaints reported in 2013-14 was 60,564. We are unable to provide comparisons with previous years.
- 40.3 per cent (24,405) of all FHS written complaints reported were for the Medical service area. We are unable to provide comparisons with previous years.
- 36.3 per cent (22,202) of all FHS written complaints reported are for the subject area Clinical. We are unable to provide comparisons with previous years.
Due to planned maintenance at our data centre there may be intermittent website outages between 08:00 and 22:00 on the weekend of 25 and 26 April 2015. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via