Registers of approved data releases
The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) is responsible for providing a trusted safe haven for storing and analysing the nation's health and care information. We also deliver the systems that enable data to be used to support an individual's care and better, more effective health and social care services for all our communities. Find out more about who we are and what we do.
There are very strict rules about what information the HSCIC can share with the NHS and other organisations and we are committed to ensuring that the public understands what happens to the information that we collect. Find out more about why information is needed and how individuals can object to the sharing of their data.
As part of this commitment we publish quarterly registers of the instances where the HSCIC has provided data under a data sharing agreement. The latest were published on 31 August 2015 and are available for download from the right hand side of this page, along with all previous registers.
In August 2015 we released a register relating to releases made between June 1 and June 30 2015 [158kb]. The most recent register covers a single month and brings the publication timetable in line with traditional reporting quarters. The next publication will be issued in November, covering the July to September period. We are working to make further improvements to the timeliness of future register publications.
The registers list each organisation, the type of data released, the legal basis for release and the purpose for which the data was provided.
You can learn more about the register content, presentation and background by reading our guide to tabs, column descriptions, key terms and abbreviations [270kb] and frequently asked questions [37kb].
To view applications prior to July 2014, please see the DAAG register of approved applications [36kb]. DAAG are responsible for reviewing and making recommendations to the Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO) on data applications into the HSCIC. Please note that prior to February 2014 DAAG were able to approve applications for data received by the HSCIC.
Where data that we release is not fully anonymised and there is a legal basis to share it outside the HSCIC, there must be a clear Data Sharing Framework Contract and a Data Sharing Agreement in place with the organisation receiving the data. This details what they can and cannot do with that information, the security standards they must adhere to and how they must eventually destroy the data. Find out more about the rules for sharing health and care information.
To provide feedback that can be considered in producing future iterations of the register, please contact the HSCIC contact centre by email.
- Data Release Register: January to May 2015 [158kb]
- Data Release Register: January to May 2015 [224kb]
- Data Release Register: October to December 2014 [156kb]
- Register of approved data releases: July-Sept 2014 [89kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Apr-June 2014 [98kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Jan-Mar 2014 [132kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Apr-Dec 2013 [981kb]
- Guide to tabs, column descriptions, key terms and abbreviations [270kb]
- Frequently asked questions [37kb]
- Who we are and what we do
- Why information is needed
- Rules for sharing health and care information
- Data Access Request Service
- Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG)
- Data Access Advisory Group (DAAG)