National Lung Cancer Audit
National Lung Cancer Audit
The National Lung Cancer Audit looks at the care delivered during referral, diagnosis, treatment and outcomes for people diagnosed with lung cancer and mesothelioma.
The Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) invited tenders to run the audit from 1 January 2015 for 3-5 years; this was a competitive bidding process. The current NLCA clinical team submitted a bid via the Royal College of Physicians and were successful. The HSCIC will not be involved in the new Audit after 31 December 2014, other than to complete a transition of the Audit to the new providers.
During this transition phase we very much encourage you to continue to collect current NLCA data items in your local IT systems.
The future Audit data collection system will not remain as Open Exeter and in preparation for closure we are advising trusts to continue to collect their current NLCA data items in their local IT systems, and until further communication from the new Audit providers not to upload new data to the Open Exeter system.
In preparation for the closure of Open Exeter we are advising users to extract their Audit data and store this locally. The CSV download specification can be found on this website.
The Open Exeter LUCADA system will close on 31 January 2015.
Thank you for your excellent engagement with the audit to date and please do continue to collect this very important data.
The new Audit providers are the Royal College of Physicians and can be contacted for further information regarding the future of the Audit at email@example.com
What does it measure?
- the number of lung cancer cases within the UK
- the range of treatments used
- regional variations in treatments
- variations in outcomes.
How is the data collected?
The audit collects data from hospital trusts and / or hospital sites within England who treat patients with lung cancer or mesothelioma. The data is then amalgamated with data from other parts of the UK to produce a report on the national standards of care.
The data is also used to provide information to individual hospitals about the standards of care and quality of data provided.
The NLCA supports many service improvement initiatives within participating trusts and helps trusts identify their strengths and weaknesses and who should take responsibility for improvement of the various aspects of the audit. The audit provides a local action plan template to facilitate this process.
Who manages the audit?
The audit is commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) as part of the National Clinical Audit and Patient Outcomes Programme (NCAPOP).The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) runs the audit in partnership with the Royal College of Physicians on behalf of the HQIP.
How to participate
For access to the National Lung Cancer Audit Database (LUCADA) you must have access to the Open Exeter portal. To gain access, please complete the registration form available to download from the user documents section.
The deadline to submit data on patients first seen between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013 is 30 June 2014.
Submitting data to the lung cancer audit
Data submitted must be complete in terms of the:
- number of sites submitting data
- the number of lung cancer patients recorded by each site
- the amount of data submitted about each patient.
Somerset Cancer Registry (SCR) has published fully updated SCR mapping documentation on its website, which shows how codes entered into local Somerset systems map to codes within the Audit dataset when trusts upload their data to the Audit data collection system.
Trusts who submit data to the Audit data collection system using the Somerset Cancer Registry (SCR) can visit the SCR website to view their fully updated SCR mapping documentation. The documentation shows how codes entered into local Somerset systems map to codes with the Audit dataset as part of data upload process
Reviewing your data
Viewing your data
- log into system
- go into reports
- select operational reports
- select time period and comparisons (and headings)
- view report
- print or download as required
- ask a user with the download all function to download your data from LUCADA and to forward this to you
- save this as an Excel spreadsheet
- use excel filters if you want to limit the period you wish to review
- scroll down the columns you wish to review (e.g. performance status) Identify NHS no to which any gaps belong and make a note of it.
What to do next
- find the missing data using your hospital systems / patient notes
- collect this in your usual way / system
- submit to LUCADA via your usual route.
Publication of the audit results
The latest annual report was published on 3 December 2014 for patients first seen between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013.
The Mesothelioma Report 2014 [2Mb] was published on 12 September 2014
Clinical Audit Documentation
You hereby agree that in downloading or using the documents or tools on this web page for any use outside of the project for which it was developed, you are entering into a royalty free, non-exclusive, licence agreement with the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership under the following Terms and Conditions:
All information, software, products and related graphics contained in the audit tool or data collection form are provided for non commercial purposes "as is" without warranty, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of third party intellectual property rights. In no event shall HQIP be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages for loss of profits, revenue, data or use incurred by you or any third party, whether in action in contract, tort, or otherwise, arising from your access to, or use of, the audit tool or form. HQIP make no representations about the suitability, reliability, or timeliness, and accuracy of the information, software, products and related graphics contained in the audit tool or forms. HQIP reserves the right to make improvements, changes or updates to forms or tools at any time without notice.
Access the audit reports
- LUCADA proforma - patient data form [182kb]
- LUCADA Data Manual v3.1.5 [638kb]
- CSV Upload/Download Spec v2.3.1 [1Mb]
- LUCADA system updates [38kb]
- LUCADA technical documents [760kb]
- NLCA steps to data completeness [169kb]
- NLCA Frequently Asked Questions [116kb]
- SCR Mapping Documentation
- Access the data submission portal (external)
- NLCA Peer-Reviewed Publications [188kb]
- Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (external)
- Royal College of Physicians (external)
- Supporting transparency and open data