Dental Working Hours - Northern Ireland, 2008-09 and 2009-10, Experimental statistics
This report provides information on dental working hours for dentists in Northern Ireland in 2008/09 and 2009/10 who performed some Health Service activity. Information on average weekly hours, weekly Health Service hours, weeks of annual leave and the division of time between Health Service and private dentistry, and clinical and non-clinical work, is presented.
The results are presented for Principal Dentists (those who are owners, directors or partners of a dental practice) and for Associate Dentists (those who are self-employed and enter into an agreement with a Principal Dentist, that is neither partnership nor employment).
This report was produced by The NHS Information Centre for health and social care, and The Dental Working Group. This is the first year that The NHS Information Centre has produced working hours data for dentists in Northern Ireland. As such, this report carries the label "Experimental Statistics". Experimental Statistics are new statistics that are undergoing evaluation. We therefore welcome comments on this report.
- Overall, Health Service dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 38.0 hours per week in dentistry, of which 26.1 hours (68.6 per cent) were devoted to Health Service dental services. The remainder, 31.4 per cent, was accounted for by private dentistry
- On average, Principal Dentists worked more weekly hours (41.9 hours) than Associate Dentists, at 33.9 hours. Principal Dentists reported spending 63.5 per cent of their time on Health Service dentistry (26.6 weekly Health Service hours); for Associate Dentists this measure was 75.2 per cent (25.5 weekly Health Service hours)
- Male dentists worked more weekly hours (42.0 hours on average) than female dentists (33.1 weekly hours). Men reported spending 66.9 per cent of their time on Health Service dentistry, equivalent to 28.1 weekly Health Service hours; for women this proportion was 71.1 per cent (23.6 weekly Health Service hours)
- Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 84.7 per cent on clinical work and 15.3 per cent on non-clinical work (including administrative and management duties).
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- My IC
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS iView
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email firstname.lastname@example.org