Statistics on Drug Misuse - England, 2008 [NS]
This annual statistical report presents information on drug misuse among both adults and children. It includes a focus on young adults. The topics covered include:
prevalence of drug misuse, including the types of drugs used
trends in drug misuse over recent years patterns of drug misuse among different groups of the population
health outcomes related to drug misuse including hospital admissions, drug treatment and deaths related to drug misuse
The bulletin also summarises government plans and targets in this area, as well as providing sources of further information and links to relevant documents.
The bulletin draws together data from a variety of different sources and presents it in a user-friendly format. Most of the data contained in the bulletin have been published previously, by The NHS Information Centre, Department of Health, the Home Office, Office for National Statistics, the Health Protection Agency or the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse. Previously unpublished figures on drug-related admissions to hospital are presented.
- overall drug use has fallen in recent years for both adults and children.
- hospital admissions with a primary diagnosis of a drug-related mental health and behavioural disorder have decreased, while admissions with a primary diagnosis of poisoning by drugs have increased.
- the number in contact with structured drug treatment services have increased.
the number of drug-related deaths shows no overall trend.
- more men than women had used drugs in the last year, been in contact with structured drug treatment services and died as a result of drug misuse.
[Please note: since original publication there has been an amendment to the footnotes of tables 4.7, 4.8 and 4.9. The change clarifies the ICD-10 codes used.]
Related linksReturn to Find data
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- My IC
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS iView
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com