Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2007-08 [NS]
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of more than 15 million episodes of patient care (finished consultant episodes) per year.
The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
- a decrease in average (mean) length of stay from 6.3 days to 5.7 days between 2006-07 and 2007-08, which continues a long term trend
- common procedures in 2007-08 include:
- 325,471 cataract operations - 7.9 per cent more than 2006-07
- 97,026 hip replacement operations - 8.7 per cent more than 2006-07
- 23,488 coronary artery bypass grafts (CABGs) - 8.8 per cent more than 2006-07
- 59,225 percutaneous transluminal operations on the coronary artery (PTCAs) - 0.3 per cent more than 2006-07
- the average (mean) time waited decreased between 2006-07 and 2007-08 from 73 days to 60 days, and the median time waited decreased from 49 to 42 days.
The report findings can be found on the Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) website, where you will now be redirected to.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- My IC
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS iView
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com