Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2010-11 [NS]
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of every hopital stay in English NHS Hospitals and English NHS commissioned activity in the independent sector.
The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
- There were 17,269,882 finished consultant episodes (FCEs); this represents an increase of 463,686 FCEs (2.8 percent) from 2009/10.
- Of the 17,269,882 FCEs, 14,890,844 (86.2 percent) were admission episodes; of these admission episodes 5,287,032 (35.5 percent) were emergency admissions.
- The time between decision to admit and admission (time waited) had a mean average of 50 days and a median of 35 days, most people (43.7 percent) waited under 1 month.
- Most FCEs (21.8 percent) were for patients aged 60-74, the average age of patients was 51.
Feed back on HES publications
We invite and welcome feedback on annual and monthly HES publications - please complete our survey via the link above. It should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete and could shape the future of our publications to meet your needs.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
Have your say on the HSCIC Publication Strategy - consultation open until 8 October.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email email@example.com