Hospital Episode Statistics, Admitted Patient Care - England, 2010-11 [NS]
Hospital Episodes Statistics (HES) is a data warehouse containing records of all patients admitted to NHS hospitals in England. It contains details of every hospital stay in English NHS Hospitals and English NHS commissioned activity in the independent sector.
The Kennedy report recommended that HES should be "supported as a major national resource for the monitoring of a range of healthcare outcomes".
Note: (17/11/2014) An update to the Hospital Episode Statistics: Admitted Patient Care 2010-11 provider level analysis has been published. Table G data for the Yorkshire and Humber SHA and the providers within it has been corrected.
- There were 17,269,882 finished consultant episodes (FCEs); this represents an increase of 463,686 FCEs (2.8 per cent) from 2009-10.
- Of the 17,269,882 FCEs, 14,890,844 (86.2 per cent) were admission episodes; of these admission episodes 5,287,032 (35.5 per cent) were emergency admissions.
- The time between decision to admit and admission (time waited) had a mean average of 50 days and a median of 35 days, most people (43.7 per cent) waited under 1 month.
- Most FCEs (21.8 per cent) were for patients aged 60-74, the average age of patients was 51.
Feedback on HES publications
We invite and welcome feedback on annual and monthly HES publications - please complete our survey via the link above. It should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete and could shape the future of our publications to meet your needs.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Publication strategy
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
- Contact us via 0300 303 5678 or email email@example.com