General Pharmaceutical Services in England - 2001-02 to 2010-11 [NS]
This publication shows information about services provided by community pharmacies in England in contract with Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) to dispense NHS prescriptions between 2001-2002 and 2010-11.
- NHS Business Services Authority reports show that there were 10,951 community pharmacies in England at 31 March 2011, compared to 10,691 at 31 March 2010, an increase of 260 (2.4 per cent). There has been an increase of 12.3 per cent (1,195) since 2001-02.
- The number of prescription items dispensed by community pharmacies in England in 2010-11 was 850.7 million compared to the 80.7 million items dispensed by GPs and 5.8 million by appliance contractors. This was an increase of 37.3 million (4.6 per cent) from 2009-10 when the figure for community pharmacies was 813.3 million. There were 538.3 million prescription items dispensed in 2001-02.
- The number of dispensing fees received by community pharmacies in England increased by 38.4 million (4.6 per cent) to 877.2 million in 2010-11 from 838.8 million in 2009-10. In 2001-02 549.7 millions dispensing fees were received.
- A total of 2.1 million Medicines Use Reviews (MUR) were conducted by community pharmacy contractors in England in 2010-11, compared to 1.7 million in 2009-10, an increase of 401,465 (23.5 per cent).
- 30,962 local enhanced services were provided by community pharmacies in England in 2010-11 compared to 29,526 in 2009-10 an increase of 4.9 per cent. The most frequent services provided in 2010-11 have remained unchanged since 2006-07. These are Stop Smoking Support, Supervised Administration, Minor Ailment Schemes and supply via Patient Group Directions.
Related linksReturn to Find data
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- My IC
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS iView
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com