Prescription Cost Analysis - 2008 [NS]
The 2008 data are provided from the links above in two formats:
Portable Document Format (PDF)
downloadable spreadsheet (Excel 5 or later version, or Excel 5 in zipped format)
In the PDF file, the number of prescription items dispensed for individual preparations, dressings or appliances is rounded to the nearest 100. There are a very large number of preparations/dressings/appliances where less than 50 items were dispensed in 2008. While accounting for just over 40 per cent of the total number of preparations dispensed, such preparations covered 0.01 per cent of the total items dispensed. In order, therefore, to keep the publication to a manageable size, such preparations have been excluded.
The Excel file also excludes data on products where less than 50 prescription items were dispensed and aggregating data for individual products may not produce the actual totals.
The Excel file therefore includes these totals for the following 6 levels of aggregation:
BNF sub paragraph
The data in the file for prescription numbers, cost and quantity are given to the nearest hundred. We would recommend that any data extracted for use is presented to the nearest thousand.
For further details about Prescription Cost Analysis or if you have any comments about this publication please contact us.
- Prescription Cost Analysis (PCA) provides details of the number of items and the net ingredient cost of all prescriptions dispensed in the community in England. The drugs dispensed are listed alphabetically within chemical entity by British National Formulary (BNF) therapeutic class
- incorrect data has been captured for a few products; please refer to the Note on Incorrect data file on the web page.
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0300 3035678 or email email@example.com