Statistics on NHS Stop Smoking Services - England, April 2006 to September 2006, Q2, Quarterly report
This quarterly report presents provisional results from the monitoring of the NHS Stop Smoking Services (formerly known as the Smoking Cessation Services) for the period April to September 2006.
The NHS Stop Smoking Services were set up in Health Action Zones in 1999/00 and rolled out across all health authorities in England in 2000/01. The services offer support to help people quit smoking. This can include intensive support through group therapy or one-to-one support. The support is designed to be widely accessible within the local community and is provided by trained personnel such as specialist smoking cessation advisers, trained nurses and pharmacists. The services complement the use of smoking cessation aids nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and bupropion (Zyban).
The key results show that in England during the period April to September 2006:
- 246,254 people set a quit date through NHS Stop Smoking Services
- at the 4 week follow-up 124,803 people had successfully quit (based on self-report), 51 per cent of those setting a quit date. This compares with 142,188 successful quitters in the same period in 2005 (a decrease of 12 per cent)
- of those setting a quit date, success at the four-week follow up increased with age, from 36 per cent of those aged under 18, to 60 per cent of those aged 60 and over
- the majority of those setting a quit date received nicotine replacement therapy.
Related linksReturn to Find data
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com