Personal Social Services: Staff of Social Services Departments at 30 September - England, 2012 [NS]
This report contains information on staff employed (directly and indirectly) by adult social services departments in England as at September 2012. It will be of interest to central government (for policy development, monitoring and workforce planning), local government (for benchmarking), lobbying organisations, academics and the general public. The report does not include information on staff employed by children’s social services departments which is published by the Department for Education.
As at September 2012 there were 150,700 jobs in adult social services departments in England which accounted for approximately 8 per cent of all adult social care jobs
- The number of adult social services jobs decreased by 5 per cent from 159,400 jobs in 2011.
- As at September 2012 there were 16,600 Social Worker jobs in adult social services departments. This is an increase of 2 per cent from 16,200 in 2011.
- The majority (82 per cent) of adult social services jobs in 2012 were carried out by female workers and 18 per cent were carried out by male workers.
- The average age of workers in adult social services jobs in 2012 was 47 years.
- The majority (88 per cent) of adult social services jobs in 2012 were carried out by White workers, 12 per cent were carried out by workers from Black and Minority Ethnic groups.
Related linksReturn to Social care
Can't find what you need? Please email our Contact Centre for assistance.
You can also Have Your Say about our statistical publications.
- Publications Calendar
- Supporting transparency and open data
- Data quality
- Statement of administrative sources
- Methodological changes
- International statistics
- Aligning statistics to the new health landscape
- Ordering printed materials
- Guide to Confidentiality in Health and Social Care
- Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF)
- Hospital Estates and Facilities Statistics
- Indicator Portal
- MHMDS Online
- National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service
- NHS Safety Thermometer
- All tools
Contact us via 0845 3006016 or email email@example.com